Texas/World – 14 April ’20, page 2
Coronavirus causing worst economic slide since Great Depression; Trump touts ‘total’ authority as states explore plans to lift restrictions
New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) on Tuesday said there would be a “constitutional crisis” if Trump tried to exert federal power over the states.
Here are some significant developments:
- Nearly 600,000 people have been infected by the virus in the United States, where the confirmed death toll is nearing 25,000.
- The International Monetary Fund said the pandemic is causing the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
- More than 2,100 U.S. cities are now bracing for budget shortfalls, with many planning cuts and layoffs, according to a new survey.
- India extended the world’s largest lockdown until May 3, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi told the nation that the measures were helping to save lives.
- In France, President Emmanuel Macron said a nationwide lockdown will remain in place until May 11, at which point restrictions will be partially lifted.